Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Three slabs of spare ribs and a Faculty Annual Review

The Tuesday after Memorial Day, no kids tonight and my FAR is due on the 1st. I’m leaving town on Thursday so I have to get the shit done. If you smell what I’m shoveling… I’m heading to the farm for the first leg of my journey and then off to my favorite mountaintop in Arkansas for some live music, good friends and fun. I wanted to take some ribs with me to Arkansas so they had to be smoked too. Shit. Thank gosh I’ve got a fresh keg in the beer fridge.

I’m not a bit fan of spare ribs. That fat just kills me. Dad told me if I get them hotter the fat will render and life will be better.

Stage One: Same ole, same ole. Lots of magic dust, 200 degrees, three hours.

Stage Two: I’ve done this before. Foil wrapped in the oven at 300 for an hour. This time I sprinkled some brown sugar as I was wrapping the ribs.

Stage Two: Out of the oven and painted with a bit of sauce (see The Sauce posted below), rewrapped and back in at 300 for another hour.

The results were pretty good. I’ve had a sample and will need a bit more time to analyze…I think they will get eaten. I’m freezing these to take with me on the camping trip.

That is all. I appreciate all three of you for reading this drivel. Oh ya, the FAR is complete as well. A once over the morning and then submission. A presentation proposal and an article to edit and I'll return to my normally scheduled summer.

3 comments:

  1. Ah ... cooking again I see ...

    I'm working on lemon ice cream ...

    Greg

    ReplyDelete
  2. La Coja. I do go to KU sped. Finishing my ph.d. Comps this fall and then the dissertation.

    Drop me a note: mattthewriter@gmail.com

    mjr

    ReplyDelete