Sunday, February 8, 2009

Magic Dust rocks

I mixed the rub recipe listed in the last post. I swapped turbinado sugar, for regular sugar, as I’ve read it reacts better to heat. I have no idea if this is true or not, but I had a big bag of turbinado sugar staring at me in the spice cabinet.

I rubbed four pork tenderloins with the magic dust and put them in the fridge for about eight hours. I pulled them out and let them return to room temperature before putting them on the egg, indirect heat at 300 degrees. This time I flipped them at 20 minutes and took them off at 40 minutes. They rested under a tent of aluminum foil for 20 minutes before slicing. The crowd seemed very pleased.

At 8:15 p.m., I threw on a couple slabs of baby backs, rubbed with my magic dust, and smoked over a mixed fruit wood bed of chips. After three hours, I removed, wrapped in industrial aluminum foil and returned for an hour. These four hours were at 200 degrees. I wanted to try things a bit cooler, just for kicks. I’ll stick them back on for an hour, half direct/half indirect, this evening.

That is all for this week…

No comments:

Post a Comment