Friday, February 6, 2009

2nd ribs using the new method

The kids wanted ribs again and the local grocery store was having a sale on spare ribs. We bought the last packet, so we also picked up a packet of baby backs. I did four slabs, two of each, in the method listed below. I was quite happy. I gave the spare ribs away. My department chair gave me a nice bottle of whiskey barrel aged porter and another colleague helped me score a side of pork. I received rave review from both consumers.

Will this week bring another round of rib smoking? The grocery has baby backs on sale, so...

I'm also interested in trying some country ribs on the smoker. I'm just about out of my rub #1, which I REALLY enjoy (see way below). I'm contemplating mixing up this recipe, called magic dust. It has been a few years since I have experimented with anything called "magic dust," so we shall see...

"There's a big shaker of Magic Dust next to the salt and pepper in my own kitchen and at all my restaurants. I wish I could figure out a way to attach the bottle to the restaurant tables because, at my restaurants, it's the most frequently stolen item! To make it a little more hot and spicy, increase the mustard powder and black pepper to 1/4 cup each.


1/2 cup paprika
1/4 cup kosher salt, finely ground
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons mustard powder
1/4 cup chili powder
1/4 cup ground cumin
2 tablespoons ground black pepper
1/4 cup granulated garlic
2 tablespoons cayenne

Mix all ingredients and store in a tightly covered container. "

recipe borrowed from:
http://www.foodreference.com/html/magic-dust.html

This morning I received an email indicating that it is/would have been Bob Marley's birthday today. In that realization, it might be important to smoke something tonight. I wonder if I should invent some smoked meat product and name it the "spliff?" I guess we could do this and just call it a fattie:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/28/dining/28bacon.html?_r=2

Happy birthday Bob.

No comments:

Post a Comment