Tuesday, January 4, 2011

I tripeled and can't get up


I have always written about food, but I think it is time I devote some of my energy towards the exploration of beer. I love beer. My tendencies have always leaned towards English nut ales, but as of late I've been sampling a few tripels. This summer, while bellied up to the bar and Grinders, one one of my favorite KC establishments, a buddy ordered a tripel and gave me a taste. Banana. It tasted like a beer flavored banana, or at least had a hint of the long, yellow fruit. More recently on a trip to Rock A Belly Deli, in Manhattan, Kansas, I sampled another tripel and was lost in the flavors, which finished on a sour note. Today I went to a couple liquor stores in Kansas City and purchased $75.00 worth of different tripels. Lets see what happens.

Tonight I'm sampling a bottle from the monks at St. Bernadus Abbey. Stay tuned for a reflection each of these bottles and those which I have not yet founds. If you have information or favorites, please send it along. If I'd finish my damned dissertation, I could get busy brewing some of my own...

P.S. It is totally okay to spend $16.00 on a four pack of this stuff because one beer has my head floating and two render me unable to drive.

To read more about what makes a tripel a tripel and why a non-monk can't brew a tripel, check out the Beer Advocate.

No comments:

Post a Comment