Saturday, January 31, 2009

New rib method for the poker gang

January 24, 2009:

Woke up at 3:00 a.m. Got the BGE going and prepared some spare ribs. Used my Rub #1, see below. Rubbed the ribs. Put them on the egg at 250, indirect heat in a rack for three hours. Removed and wrapped in foil, back on the egg for 1 hour. Took off and put in the fridge, because I had to go to Kansas City. At 4:00 p.m., I fired up the egg again. I removed the ribs from the foil and put back on the grill (indirect) for ½ hour, removed my plate setter and cooked direct for another ½ hour. Very good. I did not use baby back because I was cooking for 8. Sixteen lbs of the spare ribs were half the price the baby backs at the same weight. They had more fat and more meat. Next time I will trim as much fat as I can from the ribs. They passed the poker buddy test. A couple days later they graced Henry’s palette and he seemed impressed. His final analysis was they were as good as Hap’s, as good as, but not better. Henry knows where is bread is buttered. Politics may be in his future.

2 comments:

  1. Open for comments?

    I ate this meal ... it was an incredible mix of flavors, cooking, time, and company ...

    How many slabs? Did you think there was a difference in the interior or exterior slabs? re: carmelization

    ReplyDelete