Sunday, January 4, 2009

எ நியூ ஹோப்...இ மேஅன் ஹோப்பி

Smoked meat plays a major role in the social fabric of my family life. Growing up on a farm, the son of a well trained, and practiced, meats expert sets this stage. My father began smoking meat about the time I entered high school. By the time I graduate, I knew this 'hobby' had become an issue. Instead of the typical family meal featuring a central meat dish and several side dishes, this meal consisted of a single salad and a variety of smoked meats.

Fast forward 15 years and I find myself teaching in the education department at a small, liberal arts college; my alma mater. Living over an hour away from two cities rich in culture, culinary experience, and entertainment has advantages, but all of them require a long drive. As winter establishes itself, I find myself less willing to engage in this commute. In short, it is time to find a new hobby. This year will begin my own experience with smoked meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment