Sunday, January 11, 2009

Pork and Biscuits

While doing research towards the purchase of the BGE, I spent some time surfing the manufacturer’s website. There are several video/cooking demonstrations on the site. One that struck me was pork and biscuits. I’ve never had pork and biscuits and the grocery store had a sale on pork tenderloin. The kids are at their mother’s, why not?

I’ve learned with the BGE, as with most things, patience is a virtue. To heat it up, leaving it alone is the key. Light the charcoal and walk away. Come back later when the coals are glowing. Set up for cooking drop the lid and walk away. Come back later. In my initial firings I was trying to catch the temperature on the way up. Now I let the grill heat up beyond the desired temp and reduce the flow of air to bring the temp back down. This was a good lesson.

I took the BGE up to 600 and brought it back to 375, put the tenderloin on the grill, closed the lid and readjusted to 350. Forty minutes later I pulled the nicely cooked hunk of meat. I did peek half way though. I should have flipped it at that point. The meat rested for five minutes before slicing. Very juicy, very tasty. I bought a tenderloin that was pre-marinated. I won’t do that again. I’m happier with my rub.

While the BGE was doing its thing, I make some honey wheat pizza dough for tomorrow night. I don’t have the kids until Tuesday, so I’m going to try for an adult pizza. Spicy Italian sausage with whatever cheese I have left over from last week. I picked up some gorgeous little sausages that I’m going to grill and then crumble for the pizza.

No comments:

Post a Comment